When considering the word “grotesque”, it is easy to get caught up in only the negative connotation it infers. The images created by the artists in this exhibit, however, manage to visually illustrate the wide expanse of the word’s definitions. By using a mixture of fantastical creatures, distorted humans, and dreamlike surroundings, the artists manage to create whimsical narratives that skirt on the edge of macabre while remaining delightfully pleasant to view. As a result, the works act as an interesting commentary on human nature’s tendency towards the dark and unknown.
In honor of Halloween, take a moment to enjoy the images featured in this display and discover what the word “grotesque” means to you.
The Hofheimer Art Library will be open the following hours during Fall Break except on Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012:
Saturday (Oct. 6) 1pm – 5pm
Sunday (Oct. 7) CLOSED
Monday (Oct. 8) 8am – 5pm
Tuesday (Oct. 9) 8am – 9pm
The University Libraries will undergo a system upgrade on Monday 10/8/12. This will be a significant upgrade scheduled to begin at approximately 11am EDT and is expected to last 6-8 hours.
During the system outage the following services will NOT be available:
• Online Libraries catalog
• Online and telephone renewal requests
• Express Lane self-checkout stations within Perry Library
• Fine and fee payment
• Hold functionality
• Reserve materials searching
During the system outage the following services WILL be available:
• Checkout and renewal of materials at service desks in Perry Library (including the Learning Commons) and at the Art Library and the Diehn Composers Room. Transactions will be processed manually and service may be slower than usual.
• Returns – any materials returned while the circulation system is down will be checked in with a return date of 10/8 once the system is restored. No fines will accrue on materials that are due on the 8th and returned while the circulation system is down.
• Libraries and Learning Commons Web sites, including full-text online journal resources (ScienceDirect, etc.), research databases and ILLiad interlibrary loan. Links to the ODU Libraries catalog will be disabled, making it more difficult during the outage to determine ownership of specific materials.
If you need assistance locating materials in the Libraries during the outage, please contact the Learning Commons Help Desk (757-683-4178) or Perry Library Circulation Desk (757-683-4154) or Hofheimer Art Library (757-683-4059).